Friday, June 10, 2011

The Beginning of the Farewells

The time has come. And whether I'm ready for it or not, in a few days time our two year adventure in London will have ended. I'm trying to feel excitement about going back home, but right now I think the having-to-part emotions are running a bit deeper.

London has become our home. The English have become our family. But now it is time to say goodbye. I know the Lord will continue to guide our path the way He always has. And wherever the journey of life takes us next will soon feel like home.

Today we said farewell to the toddler group at Antalya's school. Victoria and I have been going to the group since it started in January, and have made some great friends.
IMG_2915

We will miss seeing their smiling faces every Friday.
IMG_2910

And I will miss these amazing women who juggle work and being a mom, and are filled with so much patience and love for their children. Each of them is truly an inspiration to me. Every week I leave wanting to be a better mom. So, thank you ladies! It's been wonderful!
IMG_2918

We had planned to have a farewell picnic in the park today with some of our friends from Antalya's school. As luck would have it, the weather was great all morning until school got out at 11:30. Then the clouds starting rolling in, and just as we all made it up the big hill and crossed the street to the park the rain started.

Luckily I had parked my car at the park this morning thinking that the girls would be too tired after playing to walk home. So we rushed into our van to stay dry while we waited the rain out.

After 10 minutes, the rain wasn't letting up, so we decided to just make do and have our picnic in the car. The kids loved it. We put the seats down, spread out a picnic blanket, and had the most memorable time crammed into our car, munching on sandwiches, while the rain poured down.
IMG_2922

It was a special treat that Antalya's amazing aid from school got to come along with us. I owe so much to this wonderful woman! She is so patient and loving, yet firm when need be. Antalya absolutely adores her (and Victoria does too). Every morning when we get to school Antalya hangs up her coat, finds her name and puts it on the peg, and then runs off to find Michelle, saying "chell, chell, chell" as she runs through the classroom. Once she finds her, she rushes into her arms and gives her a big hug.
IMG_2928

We had a lovely time, and I was so touched that these wonderful friends came out to be with us, despite the awful rain and cold.
IMG_2937
IMG_2932

I think it is fitting that for our last picnic in England we would have a downpour. It made it all the more memorable (and I must admit, it was much more relaxing for me to have my girls confined in the car instead of running all over the park).

4 comments:

Dehner Family said...

I feel your pain. It's hard to leave somewhere you love with great people. Enjoy your last few days. I'm excited you'll be heading back this way!! Good luck with the move.

rachel said...

Sunny, the comments about the toddler group made me cry! You are the inspiring one and I am in awe of you - how chilled you are, how you take everything in your stride and how you smile every Friday (in fact every day that I see you!). You are an amazing person!

Laura said...

What a memory you'll always have of your last gathering with the group! What a neat picnic ...an adventure :-) so nice that you made such sweet friends. Praying about your travels back to the states.

Michelle said...

I can't believe it's been 2 yrs since your family made the move to England- wow! Goodbyes are always so hard, aren't they? But it sounds like you have lots of great memories and friends to keep in touch with. The picnic in the van sounds like a wonderful send-ff!