Down syndrome is occurs when there are 3 of the 21st chromosome (normally there are only 2 of each chromosome). Hence, today, March 21st (3/21), is the day we join in a world-wide celebration of people with Down syndrome. In honor of today here are 21 things you might not know about Antalya, and Down syndrome (The facts about Ds were mostly taken from the NDSC website).
1. Although the odds of giving birth to a child with Ds increase as a woman gets older, about 80% of babies with Ds are born to women under 35.
2. There is no known cause for the chromosome variation known as Ds.
3. Antalya had major surgery on her intestines when she was only 2 days old. She came through with flying colors.
4. Antalya hates having her teeth brushed, nails clipped, and her face wiped.
5. Children with Ds are usually smaller than other children.
6. Approximately 5,000 babies are born with Ds in the US each year.
7. Antalya's name means "heaven on earth".
8. Ds is the only disability in the US that has a waiting list of parents wanting to adopt.
9. Antalya loves chicken.
10. There is a wide variation in mental abilities, physical development, and behavior in individuals with Ds.
11. Antalya's favorite movie is Baby Signing Time.
12. About 1 in every 800-1,000 live births are babies with Ds.
13. Antalya has 67 first cousins, with another one on the way this summer.
14. There are 3 kinds of Down syndrome. The most common is Trisomy 21.
15. Antalya loves to camp.
16. Each child with Ds is unique.
17. Antalya ate for the first time when she was 12 days old. She was given nutrients through an IV until then.
18. Antalya hates pudding.
19. Ds is not related to race, nationality, religion or socio-economic status.
20. Antalya is the name of a city in Turkey. One day we will take Antalya to her city.
21. Antalya's middle name is Marian. She is named after her great-grandma Marian who is still alive, and an inspiration to all who know her.