Monday, March 3, 2008

Oats and Pigtails

I love oatmeal! It's a love passed on to me by my mom. Winter, spring, summer, fall - my favorite breakfast is a bowl of hot oatmeal. I love the simplicity of it. I boil the water, add the oats (old fashioned oats - of course, none of the instant stuff), as I stir I watch as a handful of dried oats, magically transforms into a bowl of hot, delicious cereal. Add a little brown sugar, fruit, and cover with soy milk. Just talking about it would make my mouth water, except that I just finished eating my bowl for the day :) I cannot comprehend why anyone would not like oatmeal. For months I have been telling myself that Antalya loves oatmeal as much as I do - that it was the only thing she would eat for breakfast - that if she didn't start her day with oatmeal, how would she possibly get all the nutrients she needs during the day? I knew all along that she hated oatmeal. In fact as soon as the texture touches her tongue, she quickly spits it all out - occasionally landing in my face. I would ignore it and insist that she REALLY wants to be eating it. I tried many different ways, oatmeal with yogurt, oatmeal with cold cereal, instant, flavored oatmeal, oatmeal with lots of sugar, balls of oatmeal that she could pick up and feed herself. But the truth of the matter was that she did not like oatmeal! It didn't matter how I tried to deceive her or alter it's form, she just didn't like it. This past week I finally resigned myself to the fact that I am the only one in this house who likes to eat oatmeal. It was a great, liberating moment! Now when I sit down with my bowl of oatmeal in the morning, it is just me! No worries about making Antalya eat it, no thoughts of having to share, just me and my breakfast! (FYI Antalya now enjoys a piece of nine grain toast with her morning fruit. She loves it! She even asked for more!)
I'm still waiting for day when Antalya has enough hair for two little pigtails. In the mean time, she sure has one cute pigtail right on top!

1 comment:

Becky J. said...

I love that one little ponytail! One of these days I hope Sophie will let me put one in her hair!