Monday, October 6, 2008

"A Mere Child"

It's been a long week. Antalya and I have both been sick and not able to get all the sleep our bodies are craving (or at least one of us hasn't - the other one seems to enjoy not sleeping). By last night it was taking a toll on my emotional well-being. I went to bed hoping and praying for a restful night which of course didn't happen. All of which made for a not very happy camper today. I struggled all day just trying to keep the negativity away.

Well, tonight we had a big family get together. I was looking forward to a relaxing dinner and time to catch up with family members. I realize now I should have known better. Did I forget I have a toddler under my care - and not just any toddler, but the most curious, energetic, unabashed toddler I have ever known. I managed to eat my dinner in two minute increments. Antalya was all over the place - into every cupboard, in every room, up flights of stairs, downstairs, outside, in bathrooms, pulling her cousins hair, fighting over the piano, etc. etc.

As I was beginning to bemoan my lot in life after chasing her out of the bathroom for about the fiftieth time I remembered some wise counsel I received just today. The counsel to enjoy each moment, and not wish away the minutes, hours, and years thinking about tomorrows. The little fingerprints will one day be gone and I know I will miss this phase of life terribly.

I took this counsel to heart and soon began enjoying myself. Antalya and I had a great time practicing tossing a ball in a circle, playing Ring-around-the-Rosie, running all over the house and the yard, and discovering new things with some of my nieces.

I am grateful for my change of heart that helped remind me of this precious time I have with Antalya. She is growing up so fast, and I am grateful for each moment we can spend together. This quote sums up my feelings for the evening.
I must take issue with the term 'a mere child,' for it has been my invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely preferable to that of a mere adult.
Fran Lebowitz

Get It Down; 31 for 21

1 comment:

Laura said...

Funny how when we get out of our box, we see things in a new light. Sounds like fun was had by all :)