Friday, May 21, 2010

Coming to a Close

The school year here in England doesn't really end until the end of July - but for us it feels like this year is already coming to a close. Jason is done with all his classes and finals - only the looming dissertation remains. It's been nice having him around a bit more this week.

Antalya is still attending her preschool every morning - but not for much longer. In 1 1/2 weeks my parents will be here. We'll all head to the Emerald Isle for a week, spend a few days back here in London, then the girls and I are packing our bags and headed back with Utah with my parents for nearly six weeks of sunshine, family, and friends while Jason (hopefully) gets going on his dissertation.

There were times this last year that minutes felt like hours, and hours like days; but somehow when I look back now I can't believe it has already come and gone. I'm glad we've decided to stay another year because I'm such beginning to feel like we are getting settled here.

When we arrived here I wrote down some goals that I would focus on with Antalya for this year. I was thinking about them today and realized that she has accomplished almost all of them. It has been a year of huge growth for her. Each day she amazes me with the things she is able to learn. And I am awed by her determination. I've watched as she tries again and again and again to do something that comes so easily to her peers. I know she will do great things with her life - because she refuses to give up or take no for an answer.

Here are just some of the things she has learned this year:

Climb up and down stairs with no support
Running
Jumping (on anything bouncy - we are still working on jumping on the hard ground)
Naming all of the uppercase letters and most of the lowercase
Recognizing her written name
Numbers 1-10
Shapes and colors
Using every function of the iPhone
Using a computer mouse
Sharing
Climbing trees

I am so proud of her progress and can't wait to see all she learns in this next year.

Here's a short video clip I took of her at school this morning.


P.S. Anyone have any great ideas of a gift to give her wonderful TA that has been her one-to-one support every day?

9 comments:

Aprilyn said...

Yay for progress!! That is wonderful! I'm glad she is doing so well.

Aprilyn said...

P.S. My husband is also finishing his graduate degree. He has one month to finish his dissertation. He has to defend it in June. We are moving to Missouri in Aug. where he has accepted a position as Assistant Professor at Missouri Western State University. He will teach Physics, and Astronomy. :)

Kristie said...

As I read your list, I was thinking, there are some things on that list that Jacie is just "getting".
I am so glad she is doing so well.

Catherine Anne said...

wow,end of July.. Neat how things are diffrent~ Blessings to a wonderful summer~ Catherine

Jeana said...

Thats awesome that she has mastered all those skills. We would love to see you while you're in Utah, but I'm sure EVERYONE does, so you'll be busy busy. But if you have a spare moment we should try to get together.

Jan said...

Do they have gift cards for restaurants over there as a gift for her teacher? Loved the video. . .she's growing up!

Christine said...

What a great mom you are Sunny! I know how you feel about just getting settled after the first year. Next year will be so much better. I'm getting excited to see you this summer!

Becky J. said...

Way to go, Antalya! Those are awesome goals to have completed! Most kids her age I know don't even know all their uppercase letters, let alone the lowercase ones, too!

And I know this is sort of a "boring" gift, but when I was a teacher, I loved getting gift cards. Then it wasn't another mug filled with candy that would sit unused in my cupboard. Gift cards to book stores (i.e. Barnes and Noble) were one of my favorites!

Michelle said...

she has learned a lot over the past year! isn't it amazing when you look back and realize how far they've come! she is adorable!