Sunday, October 24, 2010

Potty Training: Attempt 3: Day 1

Well, it's been just over a year since I posted this about our potty training attempts. I'd like to say that during this past year Antalya has mastered the idea of using the toilet, but that's not quite the case. In fact, shortly after our first attempt a year ago to get out of diapers, I admitted it wasn't time yet and we gave it a rest.

Six months later we gave it another try, but after four accidents in less than an hour on the first day, I decided that regardless of whether or not Antalya was ready, I was not ready! So I dropped it again.

Now, another six months have passed and I've decided it's time to give it my best shot. Antalya is off school all week, and except for a speech assessment and a birthday party we have absolutely no where to go and nothing better to do than stay home and watch movies, play with toys, sit on potties, and eat potty treats. So that's what we are going to do. One full week of all waking hours being diaper free hours. And at the end of the week, depending on how far we get I will decide to either continue (her teachers at school are very supportive and will help me on that end), or I'll put the potty training on hold again - probably until I Victoria is ready and I can do them both at the same time.

So how did today go? Not too bad. Five accidents, followed by one success! I think we are off to a good start :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just talking about this topic with my sister today! My husband and I committed to potty training (seriously) in July 2009. It's been a LONG journey, and Gabe will still have accidents (urine) when he's tired.

We used Smarties to reward when he used the toilet to urinate. And he gets a snack sized chocolate bar for when he has a bowel movement on the toilet. Right now, he goes to the toilet consistently when he has a bowel movement.

We refuse to put diapers on him during the day. We've done a tonne of laundry but it's worth it, in my opinion. He has such a sense of pride when he does go on his own accord. And it will happen -- you just have to be patient and consistent.

Gabe does wear a nighttime diaper but I'm hoping to transition him out of it after Christmas. Most mornings, the diaper is dry and clean, and he does have water at bedtime.

Anyway, I wanted to share our story because it seems like Gabe was never going to cross that line into independence. And he has! The best thing for us is hearing him say "Privacy please!" as he shuts the bathroom door. :)

Kristie said...

Way to go today! She will get it. I like that her teachers are willing to help. At Jacie's preschool, I sent her not being potty trained, and they would just change her. I felt horrible! She finally got it, and it has been so nice!
Good luck, you guys can do it.